Your air conditioning ductwork could be leaking, costing you more money. There are specific signs that indicate if your home ductwork is leaking air and possibly costing you an unnecessary expense. Ductwork issues can increase your energy bills, cause discomfort, and register dust buildup.
Contact a local Palmetto, Florida HVAC professional who can test your ductwork with special industry equipment that determines information about any possible leaks.
Five Signs of Ductwork Leaking
1. Low air quality — Compromised connections can pull in outdoor air as well. If you store chemicals such as paint thinner, fertilizers, or pesticides in your garage or attic, those fumes may be mixing with the air inside your home.
2. Poor comfort — Does your air feel stuffy? Are certain rooms difficult to cool? Leaking ducts could spill your costly cold air into the outdoors. Most people think that the problem is your home’s floor plan. The true culprit may be poor duct connections.
3. Hazardous backdrafting — backdrafting is a problem that significantly reduces indoor air quality as well. Gas furnaces, clothes dryers, and water heaters are designed to vent the fumes to the outside of your home. A leaky duct can bring fumes back into your home, which can be dangerous to your health and increase energy bills.
4. High energy bills — Review the last couple of few months of utility bills. Do you feel like you’re getting your money’s worth from your heating and cooling system? With really high temperatures outside, fuel and electrical costs can go up. When your home’s ductwork is leaking air, it adds to an ever-increasing energy bill.
5. Dirt, dust, and pollen —Collapsed, broken, and leaky ductwork can pick up fine particles, dirt, dust, and pollen and distribute them into your home. Does your home seem excessively dusty or do you have signs of pollen? The problem may be in your leaking ductwork.
A trained HVAC technician can access your ductwork, look at the joints between the registers to ensure that they’re tight. Another common area for leaks occurs in the connection between the branches of the ductwork in your home.
Sealing your air conditioning ductwork is essential to your health as well. Leaks can bring carbon monoxide (CO) into your home through vented gas appliances. Every home should have a CO detector for this reason.
Why Duct System Wears Out
In the Florida heat, ducts convey a large volume of conditioned air to your home or business consistently. The ductwork expands and contracts under high pressure. The ducts may crack or become disconnected in the process. This is when the ductwork is vulnerable for rodents or other pests to enter and do more damage.
Air Shield Heating & Cooling provides a wide range of ductwork services to homeowners and small businesses:
Ductwork System Replacement
Insulated Ductwork for Attics and Crawl Space
Air Filtration Ducting
Heat Pump Ducting
We have trained technicians with decades of experience that are experts at repairing, maintaining, and replacing ductwork in your home or small business. Air Shield Heating & Cooling can examine and seal your ducts.
At Air Shield Heating & Cooling, our highly-trained residential HVAC technicians are available 24/7 — 365 days a year to provide service for your home or small business. Call us today at (813) 796-6398 or contact us online.